Supesu: The rich tradition of "Space Japan"

Discuss the details surrounding the station's lore and how things work in the universe. What is Redspace? Why does Phoron kill you? Why does Nanotrasen have a station where people eat each other? Are there any neat colonies or factions worth mentioning? Pitch your ideas and get feedback!
Forum rules
Official changes to the lore should only be made after a nearly unanimous decision that something was a good idea. No one is going to be happy if you force a lousy special snowflake storyline into the main lore SO DON'T FEKIN' DO THAT. Also if you can't take (or give) constructive criticism, don't post here.

Supesu: The rich tradition of "Space Japan"

Postby Molenar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:49 am

So , here's what we've got so far.

Supesu
Supesu is the long remnant of a colony ship from the original seeder days, Specifically one of the primary colony vessels from Japan. Due to some sort of malfunction, Engines, atmosphere, meteor impact, or something else entirely. The ship went down on a life bearing, but mostly undeveloped world. Due to damages sustained, the records of the ship, the technology, and the location of their true home world, were all lost.

Rich in forests and mountainous regions, the world reminded the colonists of what they could remember of their original home, in it's ancestral times, and so, with the very limited technology remaining to them, they established a city, and spread out into the countryside of the world as their ancestors had in millennia past back on earth. Many small villages and farming communities were established, and the world was in good shape for a time.

Developing traditional values much like they had been taught themselves before hand, a tradition of passing past knowledge along and revering the spirits and creatures of nature, this led to the acceptance of many races that managed to find their way to the world, or those which had been there beforehand. A number of these were already space faring beings that had decided to settle on the quiet little world before the arrival of humans. Though, it was a home world to none of them.

Residents

A clan of the stranded Akula race happened to be near the shores of one of the great seas of the planet, these had a trade established soon after with the humans, though some of them were more interested in having some food, these seemed the minority, or, at worst, the ones that could not manage the life aquatic for hunting.

A number of Animal demi type, some anthro beings, and even tauric natured ones, also call the world home. Some having multiple tails, and those with higher numbers seem to be respected by those with less, at least in some cases. Some of these beings settle and with the patronage of the humans, viewing them as deities from their distant history, create temples, and even religious followings under themselves.

The World Today

Eventually, after a few centuries of growth, some parts of the planet began to develop ways to recreate some of the technology that had brought them there, using what was left of the ship, and a little help from the cosmic neighbors, the people began to grow. In certain areas at least, like their technological level, so while some places are still simple villages and content with their lot in life, nearer the crash site there is a metropolis of technological wonder by contrast, vehicles, spaceport, skyscrapers, the works. Though this all developed so swiftly, that the visual styles of the architecture remained much the same.

So you are left with a fully modern society, with the aesthetics of feudal Japan. This also leaves room for this to be, not necessarily a home world, but a likely place for those that would be worshiped, or at the least, respected, from folklore. (Kitsune, Tanooki, etc) to have a possible home in lore. While with it not being a home world, but rather that some gather there as a sort of hub world, there is no forcing someone to have any relations to the planet.

It would not be beyond reason for many to find a home here as the guardian of a temple somewhere, those that are, or resemble those that would be, from Japanese folklore, would simply be more likely to be so.

Ninja of The Spider Clan

Supesu is the homeworld of the Spider Clan (Space Ninjas)
Starting as worshipers of spiders in general, but more specifically the Jorogumo of their region, the clan developed techniques inherent to the lore of their arachnid partners, and soon even incorporated them into the clan itself. The spider symbol they chose for the "spider clan" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila_clavata as the name is drawn from the Jorogumo of folklore, a spider woman, that was known for tricking and devouring helpless victims, after binding them in sticky silk, vore right there in the legends,

The spider clan's hideout, Jōren Falls, a hidden wealth of caverns behind a waterfall, spiders abound in the area, and even a few of the tauric variety seem to have made their home there. Making it difficult to approach even purposely unless already one welcomed there. the Jorogumo are known as decievers and tricksters, as well as users of disguise to appear human for the sake of meals or other gains.

The ninja clan has a friendly relationship with the local Jorogumo, even those not directly a part of the clan itself, and use the incredibly strong silk of the arachnid race, to weave the fabrics used in their gear and clothes, lending it strength far greater than any normal materials available to them.

Samurai of The Raven Clan
In contrast to the tricksters of the spider clan, those of the Raven have a more traditional outlook on life, and a strong affinity for the teachings of Bushido. Their armor is nearly as advanced in durability as the ninja clan, but holds more simple technology within, almost entirely defensive in nature, with the exception of a bluspace storage for a variety of weapons, and the capability for space grade internals. They have an affinity for bird themed objects, many motifs on the blades and armor resembling that of wings, feathers, beaks and talons. Though it is currently unknown why due to secretive nature of their origins, it is suspected that they have contact with some sort of Avian race yet to show itself in the spotlight of the universe.

Original post under spoiler
[+]
This came up in the group chat a while back and I thought having something mentioned about it might be a good idea.

Supesu is the long remnant of a colony ship from the original seeder days, Specifically one of the primary colony vessels from Japan. Due to some sort of malfunction, Engines, atmosphere, meteor impact, or something else entirely. The ship went down on a life bearing, but mostly uninhabited world. Rich in forests and mountainous regions, the world reminded the colonists of their original home, in it's ancestral times, and so, with the very limited technology remaining to them, they established a city, and spread out into the countryside of the world as their ancestors had in millennia past, many small villages and farming communities were established, and the world was in good shape for a time. Eventually, after a few centuries of growth, some parts began to develop ways to recreate some of the technology that had brought them there, using what was left of the ship, and a little help from some cosmic neighbors, the people began to grow, in certain areas at least, in their technological level, so while some places are still simple villages, content with their lot in life, nearer the crash site there is a metropolis of technological wonder by contrast, vehicles, spaceport, skyscrapers, the works.

So you are left with a fully modern society, with the aesthetics of feudal Japan. This also leaves room for this to be, not nessicarily a homeworld, but a likely place for those that would be worshipped, or at the least, respected, from folklore. (Kitsune, Tanooki, etc) to have a possible home in lore. While with it not being a homeworld, but rather that some gather there as a sort of hubworld, there is no forcing someone to have any relations to the planet.

It would not be beyond reason for many to find a home here as the guardian of a temple somewhere, those that are, or resemble those that would be, from Japanese folklore, would simply be more likely to be so.
Last edited by Molenar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Molenar

Re: Supesu: The rich tradition of "Space Japan"

Postby Aces » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm

I very much want to see this idea elaborated.

My input is it is the homeworld of the Spider Clan (Space Ninjas) and this should be made clear on the page. Perhaps we should also add in an enemy faction to the Spider Clan. A group of modern Samurai warriors. I don't know what they should be named but surely we will come up with something unique.

Samurai Hardsuit Concept

Also with the lore that Akula have, being scattered remnants of an ancient race, perhaps scattered tribes of Akula also live on this world.
Aces

Postby Kisuke_Gema » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 pm

KISUKE MUST HAVE TRAINED UNDER SWORDSMAN IN THE PAST.
MAKE IT SO
Kisuke_Gema

Postby Aces » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Kisuke_Gema wrote:KISUKE MUST HAVE TRAINED UNDER SWORDSMAN IN THE PAST.
MAKE IT SO

This will turn the snowflake factor up to 11, but if you can make it memetic, that's fine. :P
Aces

Postby Molenar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Since we're going all Japan on this place anyway, why not folklore influence. This is my suggestion, the spider of the "spider clan" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila_clavata as the name is drawn from the Jorogumo of folklore, a spider woman, that has vore right there in the legends, in addition, perhaps the spiderclan's hideout could also draw from it, Jōren Falls, a hidden wealth of caverns behind a waterfall, spiders abound in the area, and even a few of the tauric variety seem to have made their home there. Making it difficult to approach even purposely unless already one welcomed there. the Jorogumo are known as decievers and tricksters, as well as users of disguise to appear human for the sake of meals or other gains. Adding such nature to a ninja clan would make perfect sense to me.

Though admittedly, I am lacking in knowledge if there is established lore for the clan already, if that is the case, this could perhaps be used for an offshoot of it, some that delved even farther than those of the main clan would, into the relations with the spiders.

As for the samurai, perhaps the Crow clan, Or Ravens. Something bird related just seems to fit in my mind. talons and beaks equated to the blades they use, feather motif on the armored plates, could go with a lot of aesthetics on that route if desired.
Molenar

Postby Aces » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:18 pm

If there is established lore, fuck it. This is our station and that sounds more interesting. Bay has shitty writers anyway.
Aces

Postby warbrand2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:21 pm

And with that ACE just inadvertently gave me the seeds to go hog wild trying to rewrite some of ss13 lore.... time to start with wizards.
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Postby Aces » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:28 pm

warbrand2 wrote:And with that ACE just inadvertently gave me the seeds to go hog wild trying to rewrite some of ss13 lore.... time to start with wizards.

Just please inform us of stuff you change before adding it. We have this forum for a reason. To bounce ideas and improve them.

Also we already have Unathi. We've just tweaked what Unathi are. I made the wiki page say they aren't just green lizard people. They also come in gator, dragon, argonian, and various other forms.
Aces

Postby Molenar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:33 pm

I like writing, and I was more referring to if there was lore for em on our station, but cool, so,
we're going with that being the main clan then?

I'd say, tech aside, the fabric their gear is made of should be some kind of spidersilk equivalent
Molenar

Postby warbrand2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Aces wrote:
warbrand2 wrote:And with that ACE just inadvertently gave me the seeds to go hog wild trying to rewrite some of ss13 lore.... time to start with wizards.

Just please inform us of stuff you change before adding it. We have this forum for a reason. To bounce ideas and improve them.

Also we already have Unathi. We've just tweaked what Unathi are. I made the wiki page say they aren't just green lizard people. They also come in gator, dragon, argonian, and various other forms.

I will not directly edit the wiki as I can't spell worth crap and have no grammar ability going to start out the concept in a topic in this area and try to get things as ironed out as possible before doing wiki work. (aka no way I am making a entire lore change on my own I overthink everything. )
I think to much.

disclaimer: Unless I cuss, I am generally not meaning to be hostile.
warbrand2

Next

Return to (OOC) Fluff/Lore Discussion