Clone Memory Disorder

Talk about the wiki and things that should be added or changed because you're too lazy to do it yourself or the login is broken again.

Clone Memory Disorder

Postby Scree » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:22 am

https://wiki.vore-station.net/Clone_Memory_Disorder

Just wrote this.

Note that this isn't a set-in-stone policy (basically, the only "rule" is not to use your past life to try and get your pred lynched) but if people can pretty it up some or point out things I missed, that would be neato.
Scree

Re: Clone Memory Disorder

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Looks nice. Though I do have to question the IC policy of not informing cloned patients that they were cloned. Given that many crewmembers openly talk about being cloned, for some it's a normal part of their normal workday, like getting a cup of coffee. And so many people have neglected to work on their medical records that some doctors just don't bother going through them. I do, and there are a few others that do, but there's still a good sized portion of players that don't.

Despite that handy "examine while wearing a medical HUD, displays medical records of the examined" thing which is amazing and useful, they still don't.

I actually have my medical records, under post mortem, say something among the lines of "clone them and inform hir of the procedure once shi's conscious. Do not, under any circumstance, let hir see the body." because a regular CMO will probably figure out what happened anyways. If they wake up naked, all of their belongings are gone, they're at the cryo cells. People seem to be working in cloning, and upon further investigation it seems biomass was used, since it's down from the normal 450 that's stocked... They've had to clone countless patients, they know the process and can recognize it when it's happened to them, unless people REALLY work to cover it up.

Anyways, rambling slightly... So, it'd be awesome if we can encourage players to fill out post-mortem wishes on their medical records, and possibly "next of kin" for RP reasons. I've had people LOOC tell me that they're DNC but their med records are clear. So I didn't clone them, but still, that's something that should go on the records. Same with prescriptions, so I don't have to do that "We don't hand these chems out to everybody, you need a prescription." song and dance.

But uh..yeah. Good wiki page. You could potentially add in that the symptoms tend to grow more severe after each cloning, if it's all done within a short timeframe, say, ~15-24 hours?
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Wickedtemp wrote:Looks nice. Though I do have to question the IC policy of not informing cloned patients that they were cloned. Given that many crewmembers openly talk about being cloned, for some it's a normal part of their normal workday, like getting a cup of coffee. And so many people have neglected to work on their medical records that some doctors just don't bother going through them. I do, and there are a few others that do, but there's still a good sized portion of players that don't.

Despite that handy "examine while wearing a medical HUD, displays medical records of the examined" thing which is amazing and useful, they still don't.

"Don't just blurt out that they've been cloned" is still SOP even if people blatantly disregard it. We've had at least one IC suicide recently from the shock of some idiot doctor blurting it out and letting them see their own corpse to fetch their gear, and that's a perfectly acceptable reaction from the patient to have existential trauma dumped on them out of the blue like that. Unless it says in their records, or the patient explictly asks don't tell. If they're okay with that sort of thing they'll probably figure it out for themselves anyway.
Just because many players treat it as a normal thing to happen to them, doesn't mean it's safe to assume every player is like that.

I actually have my medical records, under post mortem, say something among the lines of "clone them and inform hir of the procedure once shi's conscious. Do not, under any circumstance, let hir see the body." because a regular CMO will probably figure out what happened anyways. If they wake up naked, all of their belongings are gone, they're at the cryo cells. People seem to be working in cloning, and upon further investigation it seems biomass was used, since it's down from the normal 450 that's stocked... They've had to clone countless patients, they know the process and can recognize it when it's happened to them, unless people REALLY work to cover it up.

Anyways, rambling slightly... So, it'd be awesome if we can encourage players to fill out post-mortem wishes on their medical records, and possibly "next of kin" for RP reasons. I've had people LOOC tell me that they're DNC but their med records are clear. So I didn't clone them, but still, that's something that should go on the records. Same with prescriptions, so I don't have to do that "We don't hand these chems out to everybody, you need a prescription." song and dance.
Yes, people should absolutely fill out their records more for things like that.

But uh..yeah. Good wiki page. You could potentially add in that the symptoms tend to grow more severe after each cloning, if it's all done within a short timeframe, say, ~15-24 hours?

I'm not adding that in because not everyone likes to play it like that. That might be your headcanon for how you think it works, but it's not the same for everyone. I deliberately left it open for people to play their characters how they like to play them. Official policy is "play it how you like as long as you don't go using it to get people arrested, lynched, or whatever."
Scree

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:30 pm

I'm on my phone at the moment and it's difficult for me to quote your reply, so Ima just make a response to it without doing so.

Yes, just straight up saying that someone was cloned AND letting them see the body is a really fucking stupid thing to do as a doctor. Normally, I'd say something among the lines of "If you have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability, but only as long as you know that the answers may not be pleasant ones." cause ICly, Tempest believes that lying to a patient about what happened to them is, well...bad.

And as for the "being cloned several times in a short time period" thing was actually brought up by Ace somewhere, if I can find the quote itself... That's what I've been going off of, not something I just made up on my own. It was something like "if you have a good team of doctors, mechanically there wouldn't be any downsides to being cloned five times in a single shift, but RP-wise, I'd personally think that their mental state would deteriorate at around the third or fourth clone." something like that. Yeah, it wasn't an announcement or anything, but it makes sense to me so that's what I've been using. So far it hasn't ended up causing issues because people rarely get cloned more than twice each shift.

Edit: Found it.

""There's no real way to enforce strict consequences to repeat cloning. Mechanically, if you have a competent medical staff, there's zero risk as long as you remember to get re-scanned.

But RP-wise, if you've been repeatedly cloned that shift, I'd say maybe 3-4 times, your mental state would rapidly deteriorate by the 5th clone and by the 6th you'd be liable to be a danger to yourself and others. I'm wondering how that would be roleplayable without being disruptive."",

From this topic. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=397

Edit 2: So, yeah, maybe this was meant as a hypothetical, "It's not how it is, but wouldn't it be nice if it was." But this is just what I was told regarding the matter so it's what I went with.
Wickedtemp

Postby Vorrarkul » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Wickedtemp wrote:Yes, just straight up saying that someone was cloned AND letting them see the body is a really fucking stupid thing to do as a doctor. Normally, I'd say something among the lines of "If you have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability, but only as long as you know that the answers may not be pleasant ones." cause ICly, Tempest believes that lying to a patient about what happened to them is, well...bad.

Quote edited just to show the part relevant to my reply.
And... I still think saying that can lead to not-stupid crewmembers working it out. Generally, I say everything that happened until the actual death. Like, "you popped a lung from forgetting your internals while in an airlock", and then (because my doctor has an ego the size of her hair) will go on to talk about the lengths she took to save their life. Which isn't technically a lie, she did "save" their life.
But implying something really bad happened that they might not want to know about, might be cutting it a little close to outright telling them, IMO.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Vorrarkul wrote:
Wickedtemp wrote:Yes, just straight up saying that someone was cloned AND letting them see the body is a really fucking stupid thing to do as a doctor. Normally, I'd say something among the lines of "If you have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability, but only as long as you know that the answers may not be pleasant ones." cause ICly, Tempest believes that lying to a patient about what happened to them is, well...bad.

Quote edited just to show the part relevant to my reply.
And... I still think saying that can lead to not-stupid crewmembers working it out. Generally, I say everything that happened until the actual death. Like, "you popped a lung from forgetting your internals while in an airlock", and then (because my doctor has an ego the size of her hair) will go on to talk about the lengths she took to save their life. Which isn't technically a lie, she did "save" their life.
But implying something really bad happened that they might not want to know about, might be cutting it a little close to outright telling them, IMO.

Well, in general, if you wake up naked outside of a cryo cell, depending on what that character knows, that alone is a giveaway. Also the reason I frame it like that is because, well, just because the details were gruesome doesn't mean they were cloned. A critical injury is gruesome, regardless of whether or not it killed someone. Some people might not want to hear about how their chest got ripped open and they were just barely saved. So... yeah. Not trying to argue here, just explaining why I do things the way I do them.
Wickedtemp

Postby Vorrarkul » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:04 pm

There's a clothing vendor right in the cloning room. I always toss a jumpsuit on them and move them to the surgical recovery room before waking them up, so unless you're really pressed for time there's not much reason to keep 'em naked. And fair enough, Lucina just has her own way of doing it that paints her as the brave heroic surgeon.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am

Yeah, I always clothe the newly-cloned patients. Then, if we're hurting for biomass, I'll put them in the sleeper pod and run a blood dialysis to regain it. Cause the blood mixes with the clonex from the cryo cell, biomass.
Wickedtemp

Return to Wiki Discussion